torsdag 27 maj 2010

A Interview With FAME About Robert Pattinson

Photobucket





FAME: Robert Pattinson is out June 9!! If you haven’t already done so order your copy at Amazon or go to your local comic book store for your copy! In the past couple of days LetMeSign brought you an exclusive interview with writer/author Kimberly Sherman (Part 1, Part 2) and today we have a special treat for you! In our final installment of a 3 part interview series we chat with artists Nathan Ooten. The artist of the soon to be collector’s item. In this interview he tells us about his art, his inspirations and what it was like being a part of this project.

PhotobucketIn our brief interview I learned that Nathan is a very down to earth guy. A family man living the dream of bringing his art to life. As any artist knows, unless you’re widely renown you have to split your passion/dream job with a regular 9-5 job. This hasn’t kept him from working on his craft though and you can see much of his work at his Deviant Art page. If the second cover for the FAME: Robert Pattinson comic doesn’t draw you in, then there must be something wrong. Not only did Nathan bring our beloved actor to life but he captured his aura as well. With the now well-known hand-through-hair trademark and sad soulful eyes the cover art invites you to look inside.

LetMesign: How did you get into doing art for comic books and how did you decide that was the specific branch for you?

Nathan: It’s just something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve been reading comics for as long as I can remember and I think what really captured me early on before I’d even realized what types of stories, characters, etc. I liked was the art. I wanted to be the guy that made those pictures!


LetMeSign: Do you do any other types of art (photography, paint, etc)?

Nathan: I do illustration, try to write, experiment with painting now and then. My favorite is still ink though. That’s where I have the most fun.

LetMeSign: Where did you receive your training, if any?

Nathan: No training; lots of looking at things and trying to figure out how it was done. That and reading whatever I can find by other artists on their techniques, tools, dos and don’ts.

LetMeSign: Have you done artwork for any of the other Fame comics coming out?

Nathan: Not Fame but I did the Female Force: Charlaine Harris with Kimberly and am really happy with that one too. It’ll be out the same day as the Fame: Robert Pattinson.

LetMeSign: How did you come to work with Kimberly on the Robert Pattinson Fame comic book? Was it something you were interested in doing?

Nathan: We were working together on another book Kimberly had written (a Charlaine Harris bio-comic)… and then we were working together on two books! I was very interested initially because she’d written it and I really enjoyed the Charlaine Harris script and then also just to try to tackle another highly regarded subject…very exciting!

LetMeSign: What process did you go through in creating the artwork for the comic? Did you do mock-ups before or after Kimberly did the text?

Nathan: I did sketches to try to capture his look but didn’t layout any pages until I’d read the script a few times.

LetMeSign: What was your inspiration for the art? How did you decide the manner in which you’d portray the actor?

PhotobucketNathan: I wanted the art to be clean and the representation to be respectful; not too simple but not overwhelmingly stylish either. It may sound cheesy but I kind of pictured this young man floating through the pages growing and changing as the story was told. Each panel would be the tiniest moment on the path…like a snap shot…kind of corny I admit but that’s what I was going for.

LetMeSign: Where there certain sections of the comic that were easier to interpret into art and which ones?

Nathan: There was a lot of trying to be as true to the reference material as possible in this book. I knew the fans would tear me up if he looked like anyone other than Robert Pattinson! So nothing that was really easier but I think as I got deeper into the book I was a bit more comfortable.

LetMeSign: Was there a page or section you enjoyed working on most?

Nathan: There’s a two page spread in the book I really enjoyed but I’ll leave what it is a secret for now.

LetMeSign: How did you decide on making 2 covers and which one do you prefer?

Nathan: I only did one of the covers…I wanted to try my hand at a cover and asked Darren at Bluewater if I could give it a go. He said yes so I started. I worked on it with a very talented painter named Alessia Zambonin. She did an amazing job painting over an ink and gray wash piece I did and that’s how we came up with the new cover. As for preference I’d have to that’s my favorite. You can look at her work forever and find little accents/textures you hadn’t noticed before. I just really love her work.

LetMeSign: What are your thoughts on Robert Pattinson after having worked on this project? Did learning about him change the way you perceived him?

Nathan: There’s a whole new level of respect for him on my end now. I really knew nothing about him or his work aside from the Twilight films prior to this. I think it’s the same with a lot of people but if you look into his work and I highly recommend checking out his music! You’ll see he’s an artist and deserves respect for his work.

LetMeSign: Are there any upcoming projects you’re exciting about?

Nathan: Yes there are but for now they’re unannounced and still “top secret”. Exciting thing coming though!

LetMeSign: As a comic book artists, what are some of your favorite comics/artists and why? Who was your inspiration?

Nathan: My all time favorite comic would have to be Preacher; I can’t find anything about the series I don’t love. I’d say horrible curse words in front of my grandmother for a chance to illustrate something Garth Ennis had written! He’s just an amazing writer! As for artists; there are thousands, all different, unique, and amazing. Sean Phillips, Rich Corben, Duncan Fegredo, Marcelo Frusin, Jock…I could just keep going. I just hope someday I’m on someone else’s list beside all of them!

I’m sure we’ll hear Nathan’s name listed amongst some of his heroes in the near future. Be sure to pick up your copy to view all the beautiful artwork he’s done along with the super secret two-page spread! From the few panels released along with the second cover we can already tell it’s going to be a collector’s item amongst fans.

Letmesign

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...