söndag 3 juni 2012

#SWATH Rupert Tells Complex Magazine What Kristen Brought to Snow White


Complex got the chance to chat with the filmmaker about his newfound fame, what Kristen Stewart brings to the rebellious Snow White character, and why people should stop reading a Twilight-esque love triangle into the film.
How are you adjusting to all this media attention ?
I wouldn’t say I’ve become like Kristen Stewart, but I certainly have to talk a lot more than I am used to about my work. [Laughs.] But I am very proud of it and I am proud of making it and I am proud to work with so many great people. It's good to talk about it.


Obviously we see the uncharacteristic toughness of Snow White in the film, but how different did you want to make Snow White and what do you think Kristen Stewart brought to her?
I think Kristen Stewart brought a lot to it. I think she is very brave and rebellious. She has a weight on her shoulder, she’s really in the spotlight, and she deals with everything on her own. I think she’s inspiring, and all of those qualities made her what I wanted in the role of Snow White.
There’s also this added element of her spiritual predestination. Can you talk a bit about that choice?
I think that she is one of the classic heroes that’s so historically known. I eluded to Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces and I think Snow White definitely symbolizes all of that.
As for Charlize Theron, she makes the queen more human. She toes the line between making us hate her and making us pity her. Did you expect the queen to be portrayed that way?
Yeah, very much so. It was very important that we didn’t have a terrible cut-out villain. We had someone who was doing evil things from a fear and weakness. I think it is important that you do sympathize with her to a degree, but also really understand why she is the person she’s become  because she wasn’t born evil. It was a journey for her to become evil, and I think it was very important to myself and Charlize to play a realistic version of the queen.
Also, you don’t entirely indulge in the love triangle between Snow White, the Prince and—
We really didn’t go out there to make a really romantic film. There’s no time for making love. They’re making war. It's just a mood. It’s just a part of the story, but a lot of people are focusing on this Twilight love triangle. It’s a story about a young girl protecting and obtaining her kingdom. She's helped along the way by many men and I think all of them are inspired and all of them are drawn towards her. There’s no dwarf triangle. [Laughs.]
Speaking of the dwarfs, the most surprising element of the movie was the fact that the dwarfs added a sense relief to this very serious film, and they were also played by huge British actors.
It was very important to find a group of guys who I felt would be already kind of bonded and I wanted them to be forged out of hardship together. I wanted them to be able to have unconditional heart under their exteriors and to try to find that sense of humor within and despite it all. They’re like British soldiers. Even in battle they were able to crack a smile. I think that is very much the dwarf.


Full Interview via kstewartnews

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...